Creating groups is a great way to keep classes separated from each other, but also to share a class with other teachers.
To create a group of your class:
- Login to Helpfulgames as a teacher.
- Go to group management by clicking on the Students button.
- Click the Create new group button.
- Please enter the group name, eg Class 2A. Then specify which school the class belongs to. If you have an active plus membership, you can apply it on the new group by selecting yes on the line Plus members. Click the Save button.
- You will now be redirected to the tab for the students in the group.
- To add existing students, click the Add new student button, and then click Existing. A student can be part of several groups and will not be removed from other groups when you import in this way. If you then click on Other teacher’s student you will come to the form to send the request to other teachers. If you click Choose from your students, do the following:
- Select the group and then the student you want to add to the group.
- Click Save.
- Repeat this step for all existing students you wish to add to the group.
- To create new student accounts, click Add new student, and then click New. If there are many students you want to add and have them all in a list, you can use Import from Excel, but otherwise click Create new student account and do as follows:
- The first name is mandatory, as well as grade. If you choose not to show all games, some games targeted other grades will be hidden for the student.
- Once you have filled in all your students’ names and grades, click the Save button. This will create the new account for your student.
- Repeat this step for all new students you wish to add to the group.
- Click on the tab Teacher if you want to add teachers to the group. Remember that all teachers in the group will have full access to all students in the group.
- Invite other teachers to be responsible for the group by clicking on the button Invite a teacher. This opens up a dialog box where you can enter the teacher’s email address, and then click the Save button to send the invitation and close the dialog box.
- All invited teachers will, within 15 minutes, get an e-mail with an invitation to your group. The teachers need to follow the instructions in the e-mails on how to accept the invitation. An invitation is also visible for the invited teacher on the page for management of groups.
- If you want to undo an invitation, you can remove that user by clicking on the icon with a trash can.
The group is now created and you can now more easily send messages, create games, and follow up the students in the group, both individually and as a group.
If you invited a colleague, the colleague will be able to add her own students to the newly created group. Remember that you can have a maximum of 50 students in a group as teachers ans 5 students as parents. If you are a teacher and become a plus member, you are allowed to have 100 students per group.
If you want an easy way to distribute the students’ login information, please follow this guide:
- Select the tab Students in your new group.
- Click on the button Print login information.
- Open the downloaded PDF file with Adobe Acrobat Reader and print it out with a printer.
- Make strips by cutting out the students logins and then hand them out to the students.